Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Utah
Utah had 466 opioid-related overdose deaths in 2016. This equates to a rate of 16.4 deaths for every 100,000 people, a number higher than the national rate (13.3). Fortunately, Utah has several quality rehabilitation facilities for those looking to get addiction treatment.
Fortunately, in answer to the hold that substance use disorders have on the citizens of Utah, the state’s Department of Human Services has developed resource guidelines for treatment.
Utah Substance Abuse Statistics
Like the rest of the United States, Utah has been hard hit by substance use disorders and the effects they have on its residents. The number of people who have overdosed because of opioids is higher than the national average. Other statistics for the state include:
- In 2015, males accounted for 54% of opioid-related deaths.
- Emergency department encounters for those suffering from substance use disorders was almost evenly split between males and females.
- Carbon County and Salt Lake County had the highest scores on the state’s opioid mortality and morbidity index.
- Males were 56.7% of those whose sought treatment for substance use disorders.
- More than 91% of those seeking substance use disorder treatment identified as being white.
Find A Rehab Center Near You.
Call to be connected with an Addiction Campuses treatment specialist.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Utah
Inpatient and residential care is often the preferred method of treatment for substance use disorders. It provides medical oversight and structure in a supportive environment. Keep the following items in mind when choosing a Utah rehab program:
- Accreditation (Joint Commission, CARF, or Utah certified): Accreditation sets standards for improving patient safety and meeting or exceeding applicable regulations and laws, positively impacting health outcomes and quality of care.
- Evidence-based Approaches: This means that treatment options offered to those experiencing addiction have evidence that supports their use, like research trials and studies.
- Length/Location: The length of a treatment program varies and depends on an individual’s needs, lasting anywhere from 28-120 days or longer. Undergoing treatment in a location out-of-state may be necessary to find the perfect fit.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Ongoing support after treatment is a crucial element of recovery. Sober homes and access to programs like Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) are key.
- Payment: Paying for substance use disorder treatment ranges from private insurance, government-sponsored insurances like Medicaid, sliding-fee scales, and out-of-pocket expenses. Check with your insurance provider to determine coverage.
Utah Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
In Utah, the State Epidemiological Outcomes Workgroup (SEOW) and the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH) are responsible for ensuring Utah citizens have the resources and services they need to recover from addiction. Here are some essential programs and services:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: These programs assist the patient when detoxing from drugs and alcohol as they struggle with uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. This often requires medical oversight and professional support.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is combined with behavioral therapies and counseling to provide patients with a whole-person approach.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is a cornerstone of substance use disorder treatment. It provides incentives for people to remain sober and helps them to modify the way they think and relate to substance use.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Many people with addiction struggle with mental health issues that can contribute to their condition. Addressing the existence of these co-occurring disorders, and the role they play in recovery is vital to success and may require a combination of several approaches.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Finding treatment for a loved one suffering from addiction begins with reaching out for help and navigating the potential issues. It’s important to keep in mind what type of treatment program will work best for the individual in question. Being prepared to travel to a treatment center that offers a superior program can be better than settling for one nearby.Article Sources