Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Oregon
Two out of every three people in Oregon struggle with addiction or have a family member battling the lifelong disease. Fortunately, there is hope to find healing and recovery with several effective rehabilitation programs in the state.
A recent report from the Oregon Substance Use Disorder Research Committee suggests many people in Oregon view addiction as a character failure and are reluctant to see it as a disease. However, addiction is a disease that requires treatment, and the best rehab programs understand this.
Oregon Substance Abuse Statistics
Oregon’s Alcohol and Drug Policy Commission is a government agency responsible for tracking addiction rates, establishing priorities, reviewing treatment options, and monitoring treatment program effectiveness. Here are some challenges they face:
- 12% of Oregon teens age 12 and up have used alcohol within the past 30 days.
- Around 12,000 people in Oregon tried heroin within the past year.
- Over 200,000 people in Oregon suffer from alcohol addiction.
- Almost 50% of those suffering from addiction struggle with both drugs and alcohol.
Find A Rehab Center Near You.
Call to be connected with an Addiction Campuses treatment specialist.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Oregon
When researching treatment options in Oregon, it’s important to consider certain aspects of quality rehab programs. Here are some things to consider when searching for the right program:
- Accreditation: Accreditation means a rehab program meets standards of care provided by the Joint Commission or CARF. In Oregon, the Alcohol and Drug Policy Commission will license programs that fulfill state-specific standards.
- Evidence-based Approaches: This refers to rehab programs that use techniques validated by research and proven to be effective for treating addiction. Behavioral therapy, like CBT or DBT, is a common evidence-based approach.
- Length/Location: An inpatient program generally ranges between 30-120 days, or sometimes longer, but depends on individual needs. Location can be a factor, as the program with the best options may require out-of-state travel.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Aftercare services are important for long-lasting recovery, and are often included in various rehab programs. Examples of continuing care include outpatient counseling, sober living homes, or 12-step facilitation therapy.
- Payment: Medicare, Oregon Medicaid, SCHIP (for children & teens), or private insurance may cover some of the treatment. A person should speak with their insurance provider to determine coverage. Some Oregon facilities will work out payment plans for lower-income individuals.
Oregon Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
The services rehab programs offer vary widely, but there are some essential components of quality care. Here are a few programs or services important to consider when looking for treatment:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Many rehab centers begin treatment with a medically supervised detox program. To help the person safely manage withdrawal, the staff is able to administer medication (if necessary) and provide additional support.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment uses government-approved medications along with therapy or counseling to treat addictions to alcohol or opioids.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy focuses on changing behaviors and attitudes related to substance abuse. People increase life skills, develop coping techniques, and learn how to manage cravings and stress more effectively to avoid relapse.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Some programs focus on addressing both addiction and any underlying mental health issues. Dual diagnosis programs use an integrated approach, or multiple professionals like psychiatrists and addiction counselors, to address both conditions at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Whether you’re a family member or the person struggling with addiction, finding the best treatment is never easy. Reach out to an organization that specializes in helping patients find the right facility for their unique needs. Be prepared to travel for the best program if necessary, and understand recovery is possible with treatment.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.netArticle Sources