Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Delaware
The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports the rate of opioid-related overdose deaths in the state of Delaware is significantly higher than the national average, at 16.9 per 100,000 persons. Fortunately, the state of Delaware is home to multiple addiction treatment centers that provide top-notch services to individuals with substance use disorders.
Delaware Substance Abuse Statistics
With a higher-than-average rate of substance abuse, Delaware views addiction as a grave problem. These statistics highlight how serious the issue has become in Delaware:
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) report the rate of heroin use among people over the age of 12 is more than three times the national average.
- SAMHSA also reports an annual average of 46,000 people admit to having an alcohol use disorder.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 154 people died of opioid overdoses in 2016.
- Delaware Health and Social Services report that, in 2014, only eight states in the U.S. had an overdose death rate higher than the rate in Delaware.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Delaware
When looking for a rehab facility in Delaware, there are many things to consider. Inpatient programs are more structured and intensive than outpatient programs, and allow a person to focus on growth and healing. To make an informed decision, consider the following:
- Accreditation: Addiction treatment programs that meet quality standards can become accredited by the Joint Commission, the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF), and the state of Delaware, which is a sign of effective treatment.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches are treatment methods that have been studied and proven effective for addiction, like using certain medications and therapies.
- Length/Location: Some rehab centers offer short-term treatment programs, while others offer long-term programs (longer than 30 days). Location should also be considered, because some effective programs may require travel.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Aftercare and alumni services are supportive services available to those who have completed a rehab program. Addiction is a lifelong disease, and these services can mean the difference between relapse and long-term sobriety.
- Payment: Some insurance plans cover some or all of the cost of a rehab program. Look into the individual insurance policy to see what’s covered. Private pay, or various loan programs, can also help cover the cost.
Delaware Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
Different treatment centers in Delaware provide different programs and services. Although offerings vary, there are some essential components of quality care. People may benefit from more than one of these services:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: During detoxification, there is a high risk for relapse because of intense withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Clients enrolled in a drug and alcohol detox program are provided with medical supervision, support, and a safe environment to prepare them for further treatment.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment provides people with medication to reduce cravings and lessen dependence to alcohol and opioids. Medications are usually combined with other treatments, like psychotherapy.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is the most common method used in addiction treatment, teaching people how to change thought patterns and behaviors related to drugs or alcohol. People also learn how to cope with environmental triggers they may face after leaving the program.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Many clients who struggle with addiction are also diagnosed with a mental health condition that contributes to their drug use, such as an anxiety disorder. Dual diagnosis programs address both conditions at once by providing integrated care or multiple professionals.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Not all addiction treatment programs give clients the same chance of a successful recovery, so choosing a high-quality treatment center should always be a priority. When comparing different options, people should always consider their goals and preferences with regard to treatment. Clients should also be willing to travel, if necessary, in order to get the best treatment.Article Sources