5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Maryland
Maryland is one of the top five states with the highest frequency of opioid-related overdose fatalities in the country. Maryland’s overdose death rate has been consistently higher than the national average for more than a decade. The state, however, has responded to the opioid epidemic by providing plenty of quality addiction treatment.
The Top Five Maryland Rehab Centers
Maryland is home to many excellent drug and alcohol treatment centers, as well as state-of-the-art detox facilities and aftercare options. Here are five of the best rehab centers in Maryland:
1. Ashley Addiction Treatment, Havre De Grace
This well-rounded addiction treatment center offers seven different programs based on individual and family needs. Programs at the Ashley Addiction Center include Primary, Relapse, Emerging Adult, Pain Recovery, Outpatient, and Family Programs. Each one is tailored to different areas of healing as a person progresses through the recovery process.
2. Tuerk House, Baltimore
The Tuerk House residential treatment setting provides a supportive, choices-focused environment where clients are given various options for their own recovery, rather than simply following professional-driven decisions. The treatment team encourages clients to weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide how they’d like to proceed with treatment.
3. Chrysalis House, Crownsville
The Chrysalis House is unique in its emphasis on meeting the needs of women and their children throughout the recovery process. Mental health and substance abuse services are offered to females 18 and older, and their children are provided onsite living quarters to be near their mothers.
4. Kolmac Clinic, Columbia
Kolmac clinic provides the proven effectiveness of inpatient treatment with the freedom of outpatient approaches. Kolmac offers outpatient detox services, comprehensive treatment planning, and continuing care supervised by a highly experienced team of professionals.
5. Fields And Fields Treatment Center, District Heights
This treatment center provides a holistic array of services, including substance abuse treatment, family and adolescent services, and psychiatric rehabilitation interventions. Fields and Fields offer parenting classes, multi-family group therapy, blended family therapy, couples and individual therapy, and community living skills training.
Find A Drug Rehab in Maryland Today.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Maryland Substance Abuse Statistics
In addition to one of the highest rates of overdose deaths connected to opiates, the people of Maryland also struggle with other issues associated with substance abuse. Consider the following statistics:
- Of approximately 32,000 people living with HIV infections in Maryland, 24.6 percent of females and nearly 26 percent of males contracted HIV due to sharing drug needles.
- Maryland is among the top eight states with an increased fatality rate due to prescription opioids.
- The state’s alcohol and drug-related deaths have steadily escalated for the seventh consistent year, reaching 2,282 in 2017.
- Four percent of Maryland adolescents ages 12-17 reported they needed, but did not receive, treatment for illicit drug use in a state survey, according to the Office of Adolescent Health.
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome, a condition where a baby is exposed to opioids and experiences withdrawal upon birth, escalated from 6.2 to 11.4 for every 1,000 births between 2004 and 2012.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Maryland
Not all rehab services are created the same. When searching for a drug and alcohol program in Maryland, it can be helpful to consider several important aspects of the treatment center itself. This includes:
- Accreditation: Professional accreditation and oversight committees ensure the treatment facility operates with integrity and meets certain standards of care. Look for CARF, the Joint Commission, and the state of Maryland as trustworthy accreditations.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Evidenced-based approaches have been extensively researched and proven to have both long-term and short-term effectiveness for treating addiction.
- Length/Location: Some inpatient facilities provide 30-day programs, while others may offer 60-, 90-, or 120-day programs. Extended-stay programs can last a year or longer. Travel may also be necessary if the most-relevant rehab program is outside of Maryland.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Alumni support and aftercare services are available at many Maryland treatment facilities. Some programs help coordinated support groups, outpatient counseling, and other recovery services following treatment.
- Payment: Insurance usually buffers some or all of the cost of a person’s treatment. It’s important to consult the insurance company to be aware of their financial support before committing to a program.
Maryland Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
When considering rehab services, it’s important to become familiar with the kinds of services provided. Here are some of the essential components of inpatient treatment:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox services typically range from 24-72 hours or longer and include medical supervision and detox medication management to help the person safely manage withdrawal symptoms and prepare for treatment.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment combines government-approved medications with therapy or counseling to reduce cravings and lessen dependence on alcohol and opioids.
- Behavioral Therapy: This therapy focuses on changing thinking and attitudes towards drugs or alcohol. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) are two common therapies used for addiction treatment.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Oftentimes other mental health conditions, like anxiety or bipolar disorder, co-occur with addiction. Dual diagnosis programs use multiple professionals to address both the addiction and the mental health conditions at the same.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Becoming informed and familiar with which questions to ask is crucial for finding the most compatible addiction treatment. In many cases, traveling outside of Maryland can offer a retreat from unhealthy environments and provide a fresh perspective. With proper treatment, a person can learn how to effectively manage the brain disease of addiction.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net