5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania is ranked 10th in the nation when it comes to illegal drug use. Overwhelmed law enforcement and lack of education contribute to the growing substance abuse problem in the state. However, there is hope because Pennsylvania offers many effective treatment options.
The Top Five Pennsylvania Rehab Centers
In 2016, Pennsylvania developed the Centers for Excellence program to combat addiction. This state program is designed to help people get quality treatment and thrive in recovery. The program leans on the belief of treating the “whole person”, not just the disease. Here are some top facilities that share this philosophy:
1. Livengrin, Bensalem
Livengrin provides a residential inpatient program that lasts 28 days. Services include 12-step meetings, individual and group therapy, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), yoga, spiritual services and counseling, and other additional services to help build connections within the community.
2. KeyStone Center, Chester
Keystone is a place of compassion for those suffering from addiction. Their residential program takes place in a Victorian mansion on historically registered grounds in Delaware County. Services include medically monitored detoxification and treatment for co-occurring disorders.
3. Greenbriar Treatment Center, Washington
Greenbriar Treatment Center provides an inpatient rehab program that accepts Medicaid and most major insurance plans. The program has 62 beds and is licensed to address both substance use disorders and any underlying mental health conditions.
Talk To A Treatment Specialist Today.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
4. Mirmont Treatment Center, Media
Mirmont Treatment Center has served residents throughout the Philadelphia area since 1985. Their inpatient program offers dual diagnosis treatment to address both substance abuse and mental illness. The program is based on the 12-step model and uses a holistic approach to address mind, body, and spirit.
5. Gateway Rehab, Aliquippa
Gateway has a walk-in assessment program and believes nothing should stand between a person and the help they need. They provide the largest treatment network for addiction in the greater Pittsburgh region, and offer gender-specific services for both men and women.
Pennsylvania Substance Abuse Statistics
In Pennsylvania, many people taking prescription opioids switch to heroin, an illegal and dangerous opiate. This contributes to the complexity of the “opioid crisis.” Here are some other statistics from the state:
- Pennsylvania experiences 28 percent more opioid-overdose deaths than the national average, with a rate of 18.5 deaths per 100,000 people each year.
- Nine percent of new HIV diagnoses are attributed to IV drug use.
- 11 percent of teens report using alcohol in the past month.
- Nearly 700,000 Pennsylvanians 12 and up struggle with alcohol addiction.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Pennsylvania
When choosing a rehab program, it’s crucial to understand what to consider before enrolling. Understanding the following may help someone receive the best care that’s the right fit for them:
- Accreditation: To verify a program delivers proven treatment options, look for accreditations from the Joint Commission, CARF, or the state of Pennsylvania. Or, consider Pennsylvania’s Centers for Excellence program to find the best facility.
- Evidence-based Approaches: A facility using evidence-based approaches offers a core program built around science. Evidence-based methods have been clinically proven to treat addiction, and offer a person the best chances for long-lasting recovery.
- Length/Location: An inpatient residential stay is typically 30-90 days, but sometimes longer and is often determined by individual needs. Traveling out-of-state for the best option should also be considered when searching for the right program.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Some programs offer aftercare services as part of a continuum of care after a person has completed treatment. Services may include outpatient counseling and support groups like AA and NA.
- Payment: Insurance will often cover some or all of the cost of a rehab program. A person should speak with their insurance company to figure out what is covered. Medicaid may also cover treatments for qualified persons in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
When researching rehab programs in Pennsylvania drug, it’s important to understand some components of effective inpatient treatment. Knowing key terminology, as well as some offered services, can help when comparing various options.
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs involve the careful monitoring of withdrawal symptoms in a safe environment. Professionals may issue medications to alleviate symptoms and provide support to help prepare people for additional treatment.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is an evidence-based approach that uses government-approved medications to treat alcohol and opioid addictions. A core element of MAT is the combination of medications with behavioral therapy.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is the most common form of addiction treatment and is helpful for changing unhealthy attitudes and behaviors associated with substance abuse. Common therapies include motivational interviewing and dialectical behavior therapy.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): A person with dual diagnosis suffers from both addiction and mental illness. Treating one condition, and not the other, may worsen both disorders. Dual diagnosis programs address each condition at the same time to the treat the whole person.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Addiction specialists can help people evaluate facilities and find the right program. Don’t let travel get in the way of entering the best treatment program available. Through professional services and support, a person suffering from addiction can find lasting hope in recovery.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in PennsylvaniaArticle Sources
National Institute on Drug Abuse - Pennsylvania Opioid Summary
Pennsylvania Dept. of Human Services - Centers of Excellence
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Behavioral Health Barometer Pennsylvania, 2015
Vista Today - Pennsylvania's Drug Problem Ranks in America's Top 10