5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Louisiana
In Louisiana, 30% of teens admit to experimenting with an illegal drug. What starts as experimentation can often lead to a lifelong addiction. In the past several years, the heroin overdose death rate has nearly tripled, while the prescription opioid death rate more than quadrupled. Fortunately, there are several effective drug and alcohol rehab programs in Louisiana.
The Top Five Louisiana Rehab Centers
A person doesn’t have to look far to find quality drug and alcohol treatment options in Louisiana. Here are the top five rehab centers and what they have to offer.
1. Acadiana Addiction Center, Lafayette
Acadiana offers a small, personalized setting where a person suffering from addiction will receive one-on-one care, compassion, and support. Acadiana invites family to be a more active part of the inpatient recovery process, as the center recognizes the importance of family for lifelong sobriety.
2. Grace House/Bridge House, New Orleans
Grace House offers flexible residential and community-based treatment plans. Their focus is on helping those beginning recovery to develop independent living skills, relapse prevention skills, and more. They work to build self-worth through positive reinforcement for smart life decisions.
3. Edgefield Recovery Center, Cheneyville
Edgefield is a small drug and alcohol rehab center offering their patients intimate care through a variety of residential, outpatient, and aftercare programs. Their treatments are based on the well-supported 12-step program used by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA).
4. Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center, Rayville
Palmetto offers a 30-90 day residential stay. They use a therapeutic community approach, teaching the skills needed to live a substance-free life. They offer customized programs for professionals, recognizing that professionals have unique needs related to their careers, community, finances, and other obligations that can make recovery more difficult.
5. New Beginnings Adolescent Recovery Center, Opelousas
New Beginnings focuses on the three aspects of addiction: physical dependence, mental attachment, and emotional needs. They recognize that if one of these is not addressed, a person will not find long-term success in recovery.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Louisiana Substance Abuse Statistics
The US is facing a national epidemic related to opioid use. Alcohol and drug addiction around the country is destroying families and lives. Louisiana has some startling statistics of its own:
- 14% of underaged Louisianans report binge drinking within the last month, which is higher than the national average.
- 10% of high school seniors in the state report using prescription opioids illegally.
- Excessive alcohol consumption costs the state nearly $4 billion/year in programs, medical care, law enforcement, courts, and other expenses.
- For every 100 people in Louisiana, 103 prescriptions for opioids are written. That exceeds the national average of 66 per 100.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Louisiana
When looking for a rehab program in Louisiana, there are some important things a person should consider about the facility itself. This includes:
- Accreditation: The primary certification and accreditation organizations in Louisiana are the Joint Commission, CARF, or the state itself. Accreditation ensures the facility meets certain standards of treatment and care.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Many rehab facilities will offer alternative treatments as part of a comprehensive program. But a facility’s core program should be evidence-based. This means it has been studied scientifically and has been proven to be effective.
- Length/Location: The typical inpatient residential program is 30 days. But for greater needs, 60, 90 and one year programs are available at some centers. Also, the location of the rehab center may require travel, which can be helpful in some cases.
- Aftercare And Alumni Services: Some rehab centers provide those in recovery with lifelong support. Aftercare organizations like AA, NA, and Celebrate Recovery offer a group-setting where people who are managing addictions can come together and support each other.
- Payment: Insurance will generally pay for a portion of a person’s treatment, while the rest may be worked out on a payment plan with the facility. A person should speak with their insurance company to fully understand their benefits.
Louisiana Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
When researching rehab services in Louisiana, a person should also understand some important terminology in relation to the types of services offered. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: These are short-term programs, usually 24-72 hours, that lead into a longer-term residential stay. During a detox program, a person with an addiction is clearing the substance from their system in a closely-monitored environment to manage withdrawal symptoms.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): This is the use of FDA-approved medications to treat addictions to opioids and alcohol, and is most-often combined with therapy, counseling, or other treatment methods.
- Behavioral Therapy: There are habits and lifestyle choices that contribute to addiction. A behavioral therapist will work with someone to replace bad habits with healthy ones, teaching them coping skills to better manage addiction.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Addiction is rarely the only disease a person is dealing with. Often bipolar, anxiety, depression or other conditions co-occur with addiction. These conditions must be addressed at the same time for a person to heal and stay in recovery.
Finding Addiction Treatment
There are many things to consider when looking for the right rehab in Louisiana. Getting assistance with navigating options can help one make the right choice. A person should be prepared to travel if the best rehab center is out-of-state. Through treatment, a person can find lasting healing on the recovery path.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in LouisianaArticle Sources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—Excessive Drinking, Opioid Overdose - https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/data-stats.htm
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—Opioid Overdose - https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.html
Louisiana Department of Health—2015 National Drug Facts Week - http://ldh.la.gov/index.cfm/newsroom/detail/3233
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Louisiana 2015 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/2015_Louisiana_BHBarometer.pdf