Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Illinois
According to the Illinois Department of Human Services, more than 5,500 deaths occur in the state of Illinois every year due to the abuse of alcohol and other drugs. Fortunately, Illinois provides people who are struggling with addiction access to effective treatment.
Illinois Substance Abuse Statistics
Substance abuse is a serious issue across the United States, but this condition is particularly problematic in Illinois. The statistics below demonstrate the severity of substance abuse in Illinois, as well as the toll it takes on the population.
- The Illinois Department of Human Services reports that substance abuse costs the state of Illinois approximately $3.5 billion every year.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports the rate of overdose deaths in Illinois increased significantly from 1999 to 2016.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, heroin-related deaths in Illinois quadrupled from 2012 to 2016.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reports that only 11.7 percent of people struggling with drug abuse and 5 percent of people with alcohol abuse enroll in treatment programs.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Illinois
Inpatient programs require clients to live on-site during treatment, which offer structure within an intensive treatment experience. It’s important for clients to compare their options carefully to find the best program. Things deserving of consideration include:
- Accreditation: Organizations like the Joint Commission and the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) establish criteria to determine whether specific treatment facilities are providing high-quality services. In addition, it is also possible for programs to qualify for state certification by meeting certain standards.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches are based on scientific research and have shown to produce positive outcomes. Medications and behavioral therapy are common evidence-based practices to treat addiction.
- Length/Location: Treatment length varies. Short-term stays focus on detox and a return to the community, while long-term stays are more intensive. Location is also an important consideration, as some quality programs may require travel.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Even after leaving a treatment program, clients must work hard to maintain sobriety. The best treatment programs offer aftercare and alumni services, like outpatient counseling, to help clients stay healthy.
- Payment: Some treatment facilities accept insurance, while others require self-pay. First, check into the particular insurance plan to find out if it covers drug or alcohol rehabilitation services.
Illinois Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
A number of different drug and alcohol rehab services are available to clients in Illinois. Each of these services serve a unique purpose. Some of the most common services clients encounter include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detoxification is one of the most uncomfortable and challenging phases of addiction treatment. During this time, the client experiences intense withdrawal symptoms as the substance leaves the body. Detox programs provide supportive services to help clients complete this phase of treatment successfully.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment refers to the use of government-approved medications to treat certain addictions. In most cases, MAT combines medications with other therapies to maximize a person’s chances of achieving a successful recovery.
- Behavioral Therapy: As one of the most popular evidence-based approaches, behavioral therapy works by helping patients to identify and change unhealthy thoughts and behaviors that contribute to their use of drugs or alcohol.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): In many cases, a client who suffers from an addiction to drugs or alcohol also suffers from a mental health condition like post-traumatic stress disorder or depression. A dual diagnosis program is designed to address each condition at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
With so many addiction treatment programs available in Illinois, finding the right program can be difficult. To make the right choice, weigh the options carefully, and be open to the rehab center with the best fit, regardless of where it’s located.Article Sources