Illinois Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers
According to the Illinois Department of Human Services, more than 5,500 deaths occur in the state of Illinois every year because of the use of alcohol and other drugs. Fortunately, people in who are struggling with an addiction to alcohol or other drugs have access to effective treatment.
The Top Four Illinois Rehab Centers
The state of Illinois is home to many different addiction treatment facilities, but not all of these facilities provide the same quality of services. Some of the best rehab centers in Illinois include:
1. Gateway Foundation, Belleville
The Gateway Foundation in Belleville has been treating clients with substance use disorders for more than 50 years. This facility offers programs designed specifically for men, women, and adolescents. The Gateway Foundation also provides treatment for clients who have been diagnosed with co-occurring disorders.
2. Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, Chicago
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois provides addiction treatment in several different settings. For clients who need a more intensive program, residential rehabilitation is available. This facility also offers medication-assisted detox, outpatient treatment, and sober living facilities.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
3. Chicago Lakeshore Hospital, Chicago
The Chicago Lakeshore Hospital is a private behavioral health treatment facility that provides services to clients with addictions to drugs or alcohol. This facility also specializes in the treatment of dual diagnoses. Services are available for adults, children, and adolescents, with specialized treatment available for members of the LGBTQ community.
4. Palos Health, Orland Park & Palos Heights
Palos Health is a healthcare organization that provides a variety of services, including treatment for those with co-occurring disorders. Both inpatient and intensive outpatient treatment programs are available. Following treatment, aftercare services are also available.
Illinois Substance Abuse Statistics
Substance abuse is a serious issue across the United States, but this condition is particularly problematic in Illinois. The statistics below demonstrate the severity of substance abuse in Illinois, as well as the toll it takes on the population.
- The Illinois Department of Human Services reports that substance abuse costs the state of Illinois approximately $3.5 billion every year.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports the rate of overdose deaths in Illinois increased significantly from 1999 to 2016.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, heroin-related deaths in Illinois quadrupled from 2012 to 2016.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reports that only 11.7 percent of people struggling with drug abuse and 5 percent of people with alcohol abuse enroll in treatment programs.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Illinois
Inpatient programs require clients to live on-site during treatment, which offer structure within an intensive treatment experience. It’s important for clients to compare their options carefully to find the best program. Things deserving of consideration include:
- Accreditation: Organizations like the Joint Commission and the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF) establish criteria to determine whether specific treatment facilities are providing high-quality services. In addition, it is also possible for programs to qualify for state certification by meeting certain standards.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches are based on scientific research and have shown to produce positive outcomes. Medications and behavioral therapy are common evidence-based practices to treat addiction.
- Length/Location: Treatment length varies. Short-term stays focus on detox and a return to the community, while long-term stays are more intensive. Location is also an important consideration, as some quality programs may require travel.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Even after leaving a treatment program, clients must work hard to maintain sobriety. The best treatment programs offer aftercare and alumni services, like outpatient counseling, to help clients stay healthy.
- Payment: Some treatment facilities accept insurance, while others require self-pay. First, check into the particular insurance plan to find out if it covers drug or alcohol rehabilitation services.
Illinois Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
A number of different drug and alcohol rehab services are available to clients in Illinois. Each of these services serve a unique purpose. Some of the most common services clients encounter include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detoxification is one of the most uncomfortable and challenging phases of addiction treatment. During this time, the client experiences intense withdrawal symptoms as the substance leaves the body. Detox programs provide supportive services to help clients complete this phase of treatment successfully.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment refers to the use of government-approved medications to treat certain addictions. In most cases, MAT combines medications with other therapies to maximize a person’s chances of achieving a successful recovery.
- Behavioral Therapy: As one of the most popular evidence-based approaches, behavioral therapy works by helping patients to identify and change unhealthy thoughts and behaviors that contribute to their use of drugs or alcohol.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): In many cases, a client who suffers from an addiction to drugs or alcohol also suffers from a mental health condition like post-traumatic stress disorder or depression. A dual diagnosis program is designed to address each condition at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
With so many addiction treatment programs available in Illinois, finding the right program can be difficult. To make the right choice, weigh the options carefully, and be open to the rehab center with the best fit, regardless of where it’s located.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in the this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Illinois
Illinois Department of Human Services—Facts about Addiction - http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=31787
National Institute on Drug Abuse—Illinois Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/illinois-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Illinois 2015 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/2015_Illinois_BHBarometer.pdf