Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in South Dakota
The state of South Dakota recognizes drug addiction as a serious issue. Fortunately, a variety of substance abuse treatment programs are available within this state to help individuals eliminate drugs from their lives and avoid relapse.
The best treatment programs in South Dakota are those that provide clients with high-quality treatment, have a high success rate, and provide good aftercare services. Some of the top-rated substance abuse treatment programs in South Dakota can help you overcome addiction.
South Dakota Substance Abuse Statistics
The rate of illicit drug abuse in the state of South Dakota is lower than the national average. Nonetheless, substance abuse remains a significant issue, leading to injuries and deaths every year. Here are some statistics illustrating the effects of addiction in South Dakota:
- 69 people died of drug overdoses during 2016, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, South Dakota healthcare providers wrote nearly 68 opioid prescriptions per 100 people in 2015.
- More than 3.5 percent of South Dakota residents report dependence on alcohol each year, according to the South Dakota Department of Social Services.
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the rate of alcohol abuse among residents is considerably higher than the national average.
- SAMHSA reports only 8.2 percent of people with alcohol dependence receive the treatment they need each year.
Get treatment when
and how you need it.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In South Dakota
South Dakota rehab programs vary considerably according to their structure and quality. If a person chooses an inpatient program, they will live at the facility for the duration of the program.
When comparing different inpatient treatment programs, consider the following characteristics to make the best choice:
- Accreditation: To obtain accreditation from a respectable organization, such as CARF or the Joint Commission, rehab facilities must meet certain standards of quality care. In general, it’s better to choose an accredited or state-licensed facility.
- Evidence-based Approaches: Facilities that use evidence-based approaches design their treatment programs on the results of scientific research studies. An example of an evidence-based treatment method is dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Length/Location: Program length is usually determined by an individual assessment and varies from center to center, ranging between 28-120 days or longer. To find the best program, consider traveling out-of-state for more options.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Aftercare and alumni services provide support to clients who have completed rehab programs. These services can improve the person’s chances for long-lasting recovery, and may include sponsorship or sober living communities.
- Payment: Those hoping to use insurance coverage to pay for treatment should do two things: contact an insurance representative to determine coverage and check with the rehab center to ensure they accept the type of insurance.
South Dakota Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
People in search of addiction treatment in South Dakota may benefit from a number of different services. Some of the most popular services available in the state include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs provide medical and psychological support to people as they eliminate drugs from their system and deal with symptoms of withdrawal.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment provides people with government-approved medications that reduce cravings and lessen dependence. MAT is used alongside behavioral therapy.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy or dialectical behavior therapy, work to replace destructive, drug-related behaviors with healthy ones. This is an evidence-based approach used by many treatment facilities.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Individuals struggling with addiction are more likely to be diagnosed with mental health conditions, such as schizophrenia and PTSD, than the general public. Dual diagnosis programs are designed specifically to treat both conditions at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Those in search of addiction treatment in South Dakota should be careful to compare all of their options with individual priorities in mind. People unsure of how to find the right treatment program can reach out for help. To find the right fit, be prepared to travel out-of-state to receive the highest quality of care.
- Aberdeen (2)
- Belle Fourche (1)
- Black Hawk (1)
- Brookings (2)
- Canton (1)
- Chamberlain (1)
- Flandreau (1)
- Hot Springs (2)
- Huron (2)
- Kyle (1)
- Lemmon (1)
- Madison (1)
- Mission (1)
- Mitchell (1)
- Pierre (1)
- Rapid City (9)
- Rosebud (1)
- Sioux Falls (15)
- Sisseton (1)
- Spearfish (1)
- Sturgis (1)
- Vale (1)
- Vermillion (1)
- Watertown (2)
- Winner (1)
- Yankton (3)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Drug Overdose Death Data
National Institute on Drug Abuse - South Dakota Opioid Summary
South Dakota Dept. of Health and Human Services: Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse - South Dakota Substance Abuse Epidemiological Profile
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Behavioral Health Barometer South Dakota, 2015