5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in North Carolina
In light of the severity of substance abuse in North Carolina and across the nation, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) is committed to helping residents who struggle with addiction find a path to sobriety. In order to help these individuals, North Carolina offers several rehabilitation facilities designed to suit the needs of each individual.
The Top Five North Carolina Rehab Centers
North Carolina defines a quality treatment center as a facility that effectively assists clients in overcoming a substance use disorder and maintaining recovery on a long-term basis. Some of the top-ranking treatment centers in North Carolina include:
1. Four Circles Recovery Center, Horse Shoe
The Four Circles Recovery Center is a unique rehab facility that bases its treatment programs on adventure therapy. Programs are residential in a natural setting, allowing clients to drown out the noise and focus solely on recovery.
2. Fellowship Hall, Greensboro
Established in 1971, Fellowship Hall in Greensboro provides treatment using a 12-step model of recovery. This facility is located on a 120-acre site and offers both residential and outpatient addiction treatment. A family treatment program is also available.
3. Pavillon, Mill Spring
Pavillon offers a women’s program, men’s program, and the young adult program. Extended care, relapse prevention, and family programs are also available. All programs at Pavillon are designed to treat a person’s mind, body, and spirit.
Find A Rehab Center Near You.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
4. Asheville Recovery Center, Asheville
The Asheville Recovery Center offers several different programs to meet the needs of almost any person with a substance use disorder. Available programs include intensive outpatient treatment, partial hospitalization, and residential treatment. Therapeutic approaches include individual therapy, group therapy, family counseling, and more.
5. Wilmington Treatment Center, Wilmington
Wilmington Treatment Center was established in 1984. It offers several different treatment options, including a detox program, an inpatient residential treatment program, and a partial hospitalization program. This facility also accepts a wide variety of insurance policies.
North Carolina Substance Abuse Statistics
Thousands of people across the state of North Carolina struggle with substance abuse. Here are some statistics highlighting the severity of the problem:
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reports North Carolina’s rate of illicit drug use is higher than the national average.
- The rate of opioid-related overdose deaths rose sharply in North Carolina from 2014 to 2015, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- SAMHSA reports 391,000 adults age 21 and over to admit to heavy alcohol.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1,956 people in North Carolina died of a drug overdose during 2016.
- Nearly 90 percent of people using illicit drugs in North Carolina failed to receive treatment from 2010 to 2014, according to SAMHSA.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In North Carolina
Inpatient programs allow people to live at a facility for the duration of treatment. These programs offer several advantages, including a structured environment, a more intensive experience, and fewer distractions. When comparing different inpatient programs, consider the following:
- Accreditation: Rehab programs can earn accreditation from the Joint Commission or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF). Earning accreditation shows a program has met specific standards of quality treatment.
- Evidence-based Approaches: An evidence-based approach is a treatment based on scientific evidence. Examples include behavioral therapy and medications to treat addiction.
- Length/Location: The length of treatment programs vary considerably. Many programs range between 30 and 120 days or longer, but will likely depend on an individual assessment. In some cases, traveling out-of-state may provide the best option.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Some rehab programs offer aftercare services, or a continuity of care, to provide support to clients after treatment. Services may include outpatient counseling or peer sponsorship.
- Payment: Treatment programs often accept insurance and/or self-pay. Contact the insurance company to find out the specifics of the plan and whether substance abuse rehabilitation is covered.
North Carolina Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
In North Carolina, there are a few state-operated facilities to make treatment more affordable and accessible. Otherwise, various programs offer a variety of services to help people recover from addiction. Some common services and programs include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs help clients manage withdrawal and prepare for treatment. Programs provide support, medications (if necessary), and a safe environment.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment uses FDA-approved medications, along with therapy or counseling, to reduce cravings and lessen dependence on alcohol and opioids.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy helps people identify triggers and develop coping skills to maintain recovery. Examples of behavioral therapies include dialectical behavior therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Dual diagnosis programs aim to treat both mental health problems and addiction at the same time. To address both conditions, a multidisciplinary approach with multiple professionals is most effective.
Finding Addiction Treatment
With several addiction treatment facilities available, it can be difficult to make the best choice. Every person is unique, so it is important for each individual to consider their own priorities when comparing programs. Keep in mind, travel is sometimes necessary to get the best treatment possible.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net