5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Kentucky
Kentucky holds the largest amount of gold stored anywhere in the world. While this fun fact is intriguing, Kentucky also plays host to a less reputable element: the ravages of addiction. To combat the growing problem of addiction and substance abuse, there are several effective rehab programs within the state.
The Top Five Kentucky Rehab Centers
The state of Kentucky has a long history of addiction and overdose fatalities. So, it comes as no surprise that Kentucky also offers state-of-the-art addiction treatment to address the current crisis. Here are five of the best rehab centers:
1. Chrysalis House, Lexington
Specializing in substance abuse treatment for women, Chrysalis House offers an integrated approach to addiction treatment. This facility is fully staffed with trained therapists, registered nurses, case managers, and domestic violence specialists.
2. Cumberland River Behavioral Health, Corbin
Cumberland River Behavioral Health provides intensive outpatient services that include substance abuse counseling, case management services, and education on the disease of addiction. They also offer three residential service options for a more structured environment.
3. The Morton Center, Louisville
With its motto for “Restoring Self, Preserving Family,” The Morton Center provides adult, children, adolescent, and family services for all those who have been affected by addiction. The Center offers an initial assessment for each family member to determine the extent of the impact and how to choose the most appropriate individualized interventions.
4. Healing Place, Louisville
The Healing Place provides clothing, residential housing, meals, and therapeutic recovery interventions for both women and men experiencing addiction. This facility offers to stabilize detox services, a long-term motivational track, 12-step involvement, and continuing care services.
5. Beacon House, Louisville
Beacon House provides a transitional living program for those preparing to return to an environment outside the protective structure of treatment. This program is staffed with a life skills specialist, several on-site residential supervisors, one oversight resident manager, and case managers to best help those struggling to have a smooth transition home.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Kentucky Substance Abuse Statistics
Kentucky has never been a stranger to substance abuse. From overdose fatalities to fragmented families, Kentucky has seen its fair share of devastation from addiction. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Kentucky:
- Is among the top 10 states with the largest opioid overdose fatalities.
- Has had an increase in synthetic opioid (fentanyl) overdose deaths from 70 to 465 deaths since 2012.
- Held 336 of the new HIV cases in 2015, with nearly eight percent of cases in men and 10 percent of cases in women connected to injection needle use.
- Had an annual average of 206,000 persons aged 12 and older with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD) in 2014-2015.
Choosing the Right Rehab Program in Kentucky
When you’re ready to take the first step towards recovery in Kentucky, it’s important to know which questions to ask to ensure you choose the best rehab program. You’ll want to consider:
- Professional Accreditation: There are oversight organizations, such as the Joint Commission, CARF, or the state of Kentucky, that ensure safe, ethical practices and quality interventions for those experiencing addiction.
- Evidenced-Based Approaches: These include methods supported by addiction-specific research as to their long-term and short-term effectiveness within recovery.
- Length/Location: The length of time in treatment can vary depending on factors such as individual needs and the type of treatment. The location of the treatment center may require travel, which can actually be beneficial for recovery.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: These are continuing services and support after a person completes their initial residential stay. The person struggling with addiction will often be assigned a Recovery Support person and will be encouraged to get a sponsor and therapist for continued healing and support.
- Payment: Insurance often covers all or part of addiction treatment, but there are factors insurance companies consider before agreeing to pay. There are also options for self-payment of services if your insurance does not cover addiction treatment.
Kentucky Drug and Alcohol Rehab Services
Addiction treatment facilities in Kentucky offer their clients a wide array of services based on the individualized needs of the struggling person and family. A few of the services most often provided include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Going through detox and withdrawal requires the need of close medical supervision, detox medication management, and professional intervention. This can be a painful and stressful time for the person detoxing, and can be dangerous if attempted without the care of a medical professional.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Some medications may be used to help the person wean off alcohol or opioids. This can help alleviate painful withdrawal symptoms, reduce cravings, and lessen dependence. MAT is typically coupled with ongoing therapeutic intervention and group support.
- Behavioral Therapy: This is the most commonly used intervention for addressing addiction. Behavioral therapy helps the person to alter or replace harmful behaviors that have reinforced their active addiction. The two major behavioral therapies are dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnoses): Oftentimes, another diagnosis, such as anxiety or depression, will be given in addition to a substance use diagnosis. Facilities that treat co-occurring disorders will address both of these mental health issues with multiple professionals like psychiatrists and addiction counselors.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Seeking help can feel very scary as you move from your comfort zone into a new arena, which may be out-of-state. Addiction is a confusing and draining experience for both the person and family members. To find the right addiction treatment, you’ll want to know your options and ask lots of questions to ensure you’re fully informed before making a decision.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in KentuckyArticle Sources
National Institute on Drug Abuse—Kentucky Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/kentucky-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Kentucky, Vol. 4 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/Kentucky_BHBarometer_Volume_4.pdf