California Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers
Along with its reputation for sunshine and ocean waves, California is also known for an ongoing problem with substance abuse and addiction. Fortunately, the state has several options for quality addiction treatment. Here are five of the most reputable rehab centers in California.
The Top Five California Rehab Centers
California boasts beautiful scenery, activities, and a therapeutic environment for healing and growth. Many rehab centers in California use holistic methods of treatment to make the most of the state’s natural resources.
1. Journey Malibu, Malibu
Journey Malibu is known for its private sands and beachfront views. The facility provides a wide variety of healing methods for its residents, like art therapy, adventure therapy, and meditation. In addition, Journey Malibu follows up the treatment experience with quality sober coaching, relapse prevention, and aftercare programs.
2. Promises Treatment Center, Malibu
Also in Malibu, Promises Treatment Center offers a range of holistic techniques for its residents. Some of these include yoga, physical fitness programs, and both 12-step and non-12-step options. Promises also provides evidence-based techniques such as psychodrama and interpersonal therapy.
3. Hope By The Sea, San Juan Capistrano
Hope by the Sea provides an array of treatment interventions, such as art and fitness therapy and family educational programs. From detox services, residential treatment, and outpatient services, to extended care and sober living, Hope by the Sea covers all bases for successful addiction treatment.
4. Bayside Marin, San Rafael
Bayside Marin brings an eclectic array of healing techniques for addiction, including acupuncture, yoga, and healthy relationship education. Plus, Bayside Marin offers self-help support groups, family therapy, and a transition ceremony when a patient completes treatment.
5. Sober Living By The Sea, Newport Beach & Riverside
Sober Living by the Sea is a cozy community where those in recovery can continue healing beyond their residential stay. Using a 12-step approach, this environment is supportive of physical, mental, and spiritual health. All treatment approaches are individualized and gender-specific to fit each individual’s needs.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
California Substance Abuse Statistics
California is a huge state with a massive population. Like most states in the nation, the population is affected by the growing opioid crisis and other substances of abuse. Here are some general substance abuse statistics from California:
- Approximately 11% of youth have admitted to using illegal drugs.
- More than two million residents have a chemical dependency to alcohol.
- Nearly one million citizens are addicted to illicit substances.
- Only about 9% of those dependent to alcohol and 12% of those struggling with drug-dependence actually enter treatment each year.
- There were more than 2,000 opioid overdose fatalities in California in 2016; nearly five deaths for every 100,000 persons per year.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In California
There are several things to look for when choosing a rehab program. In addition to competent staff and effective interventions, it’s also good to consider the facility’s:
- Accreditation: Accreditation organizations ensure the treatment facility is operating with integrity and consistency. Organizations include the Joint Commission, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Centers, and the state of California.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: Evidence-based methods are backed by scientific studies and research. For addiction treatment, these studies support the use of certain medications and therapies to address the chronic disease.
- Length/Location: The length of stay varies from traditional 30-day programs to 60-90-120-days, 12 months, or longer. In some cases, travel may be necessary to reach a quality rehab center that’s the right fit.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: After a residential stay, it’s often best to “step-down” to a lower level of care, like outpatient therapy or support groups. Following treatment, some rehab centers in California provide professional and community support during the early stages of recovery.
- Payment: Insurance may cover some or all of a person’s treatment. Contact the insurance company to determine coverage. Private pay, crowdsourcing, and scholarships/grants are other ways to pay for rehab programs.
California Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
The element that sets California apart from many other treatment locations is the serene ocean-front that support the healing process. On top of that, rehab facilities may provide essential components of effective treatment, including:
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment, or MAT, is the use of medications to reduce drug cravings and lessen dependence for addictions to alcohol or opioids. MAT is typically used alongside behavioral therapy.
- Behavioral Therapy: These therapies teach coping strategies for relapse triggers and work to develop healthy habits. Effective therapies for addiction include motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs provide a safe environment for the difficult process of withdrawal. Medical supervision during detox and withdrawal is often the first stage of treatment within several quality California rehab programs.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): A co-occurring disorder is when a person is struggling with both addiction and another diagnosis, such as depression or bipolar disorder. Treatment for co-occurring disorders uses various qualified staff members to address both conditions.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Addiction is a powerful, chronic, and progressive illness. The confusion surrounding the disease can make everything feel overwhelming, including reaching out for help. Learning about addiction treatment is an important part of the process, and understanding travel may be required acknowledges the commitment it takes to get better.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in California
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—Drug Overdose Death Data - https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
National Institute on Drug Abuse—California Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/california-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer California, 2015 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/2015_California_BHBarometer.pdf