5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in New York
Like most states, New York has a significant substance abuse problem. In order to recover from substance use disorders, many people seek treatment from rehab programs. Fortunately, the state of New York is home to a number of high-quality rehab centers that offer effective addiction treatment.
The Top Five Best New York Rehab Centers
Addiction treatment centers in New York vary according to their quality. Some of the treatment centers with a reputation for quality care include:
1. Villa Veritas Foundation, Inc., Kerhonkson
Villa Veritas Foundation operates treatment programs based on the 12-step approach to recovery and views addiction as a disease that affects people mentally, physically, and spiritually. All of these aspects of the illness are addressed during the recovery program.
2. Arms Acres, Carmel
Located to the north of New York City, Arms Acres is a treatment facility that offers programs for men and women struggling with addiction. Founded in 1982, this facility is located on 52 acres of peaceful countryside, allowing clients to relax and tune out the world as they recover.
3. The Dunes, East Hampton
This luxury facility offers addiction treatment through several different programs, including an intensive outpatient program, a residential treatment program, and a long-term rehab program. Unique executive accommodations are also available.
4. Phoenix House, Multiple Locations
Phoenix House offers programs designed for men, women, and teens struggling with substance abuse. This facility was established in 1967 and provides a variety of services, including prevention, treatment, and support for people who have previously completed rehab programs.
Find A Rehab Center Near You.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
New York Substance Abuse Statistics
Substance abuse has been an issue in New York for many years, and it continues to escalate. Here are some statistics demonstrating the seriousness of the problem in New York:
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), New York rates of alcohol and drug abuse are slightly higher than the national average.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that 3,638 people died of a drug overdose in 2016.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports deaths related to prescription opioids alone have doubled since 2009.
- According to SAMHSA, approximately 946,000 people over the age of 12 report heavy alcohol use each year.
- Each year, only 15 percent of people using illicit drugs in New York receive treatment.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In New York
Rehab programs in the state of New York are composed of different structures and features. For this reason, it’s important to consider the options carefully in order to choose a program relevant to individual needs. For example, considered the following:
- Accreditation: To qualify for accreditation from CARF or the Joint Commission, a rehab program must meet certain standards of quality. Proof of accreditation generally indicates a program offers superior services.
- Evidence-based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches are based on scientific research and proven to be effective for treating addiction. This includes medication-assisted treatment (MAT) and behavioral therapy.
- Length/Location: Treatment lengths vary and depend on individual needs. People should make sure the program they choose will be long enough to support their recovery. Also, be willing to travel to a program if it’s the right fit.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Following release from a treatment program, aftercare services provide ongoing support to help people maintain their sobriety. It’s best to look for a treatment program that provides these services.
- Payment: Rehab programs are usually paid for by insurance or private pay. Clients who want to pay with insurance should make sure a program accepts their policy before enrolling.
New York Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
New York’s rehab programs provide clients with various services to support their recovery. Each of these services is designed with a specific purpose in mind. Here are some of the most common rehab services offered in New York:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs support people as they eliminate drugs or alcohol from their body and struggle with withdrawal. These programs may include a range of supportive therapies and activities, from exercise to medication.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment combines FDA-approved medication with psychotherapy to improve treatment outcomes and lessen dependence.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is the most common treatment for addiction. This evidence-based approach works by identifying and changing unhealthy thoughts and behaviors associated with drugs or alcohol.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Many people who struggle with addiction also suffer from a mental health problem like bipolar disorder. Dual diagnosis programs use various professionals to address both addiction and the mental health condition at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Finding the right addiction treatment center requires careful consideration. Those in need of treatment should think about their own unique goals and priorities. In some cases, be willing to travel for a better rehab program if it suits individual needs.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net