5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Mississippi
Mississippi offers residents access to a diverse natural landscape and some of the most welcoming communities in the Deep South region, but many individuals struggle with substance abuse. From secluded countryside to urban settings, those experiencing addiction have a variety of top-rated treatment programs to choose from.
The Top 5 Mississippi Rehab Centers
The best rehab centers in Mississippi focus on creating safe, comfortable environments and diverse treatment programs. For top programs, maintaining standards of care and achieving positive treatment outcomes are major priorities. Here are five:
1. Turning Point, Southaven
With an expert group of physicians, psychotherapists, and counselors, Turning Point provides cutting-edge medical treatment with a unique holistic approach. Turning Point’s research-proven treatment methods include a medically-managed Suboxone program, dialectical behavior therapy, and cognitive counseling.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
2. Clearview Recovery Center, Moselle
Clearview tailors each treatment program to meet individual needs, addressing both addiction and any underlying mental health conditions. Located in a serene and accessible area with rolling hills and beautiful pine trees, Clearview is also a peaceful and relaxing haven for those suffering from addiction.
3. Parkwood Behavioral Health System. Olive Branch
With more than 30 years of specialized care, Parkwood has one of the top-rated recovery programs in North Mississippi and the Mid-South region. Treatment programs include inpatient treatment, partial inpatient treatment, residential treatment, and intensive outpatient treatment.
4. Pine Grove, Hattiesburg
With a reputation as one of the nation’s leading treatment campuses, clients at Pine Grove have access to addiction specialists with cross-disciplinary expertise, as well as multiple treatment programs designed to address co-occurring disorders. This comprehensive treatment facility offers several different levels of care as well, including outpatient, inpatient, and residential treatment programs.
5. Recovery House, Columbus
This private, non-profit organization is located on 90-acres of secluded pine forest in Northeast Mississippi, offering clients a safe and comfortable retreat where they can focus their energy on learning new coping skills and restoring their lives. Their women-only program features art therapy, parenting classes, yoga, educational lectures, and more.
Mississippi Substance Abuse Statistics
While the abuse of illicit drugs in Mississippi is below the overall national average, alcohol and methamphetamine abuse have been consistent problems for decades. Both adolescents and adults are at risk. Consider the following statistics:
- In 2016, there were 180 recorded opioid-related deaths in Mississippi.
- From 2013 to 2014, 45,000 teens and young adults aged 12 to 20 reported binge-drinking alcohol.
- In a study conducted from 2010 to 2014, 6.6 percent of adults in Mississippi reported heavy alcohol use within one month of being surveyed.
- Opioids were the primary substance abused by 55.4 percent of patients admitted to addiction treatment in 2017
Choosing the Right Rehab Program in Mississippi
Finding the right treatment program to fit your individual needs is extremely important for successful recovery. When considering the best treatment programs, keep these key factors in mind:
- Accreditation: Look for centers accredited by the Joint Commission, CARF, or the state of Mississippi. Accreditation means the program meets certain standards of care, provides a safe environment, and retains a qualified staff.
- Evidence-based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches or practices have been scientifically researched and proven effective for treating addiction. Examples include medications to treat opioid addiction and behavioral therapy to address substance abuse.
- Length/Location: Program lengths can vary greatly and are based on individual needs. Stays may last a few weeks or a year or longer. Also, be prepared to travel to find the best possible program.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Many accredited rehab programs offer aftercare services following treatment to help sustain recovery. This may include support groups, outpatient counseling, or sponsorship/mentoring programs.
- Payment: It’s important to consider if the rehab center accepts insurance. Check with your insurance provider to find out if rehab services are covered. Knowing what’s covered, and what isn’t, can help with selecting the right program.
Mississippi Drug and Alcohol Rehab Services
High-quality and professional addiction counseling services are available all throughout the state of Mississippi. While every rehab center is different, many should offer the essential components of effective treatment, including:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: This type of program focuses on safe detox from drugs and alcohol in a controlled environment. Detox programs help the person manage uncomfortable symptoms of withdrawal and prepare them for further treatment.
- Behavioral Therapy: A treatment technique that focuses on developing positive coping skills and recognizing triggers as a way to avoid addictive behaviors. Common therapies include cognitive behavioral therapy and contingency management.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Combines behavioral therapy and the use of FDA-approved medications to treat substance abuse, particularly addictions to opioids and alcohol.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Many people struggling with substance abuse also have co-occurring disorders like anxiety or depression. Dual diagnosis programs address and treat both conditions by using an integrated approach with various professionals.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Don’t be afraid to do lots of research before choosing a program. Keep in mind that, in many cases, travel is necessary to find the right fit. With the help of a strong support system and access to comprehensive treatment, a successful recovery from addiction is possible.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in MississippiArticle Sources
National Institute on Drug Abuse—Mississippi Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/mississippi-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Mississippi Vol. 4 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/2015_Mississippi_BHBarometer.pdf
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services—Mississippi Adolescent Substance Abuse Facts - https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/facts-and-stats/national-and-state-data-sheets/adolescents-and-substance-abuse/mississippi/index.html