5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Wyoming
Like Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota, Wyoming has high rates of alcohol use and binge drinking. The state ranked number 48 out of 50 for drug and alcohol treatment, according to a national study by consumer website WalletHub. Fortunately, Wyoming now has several rehab facilities providing access to quality treatment for its residents.
The Top Five Wyoming Rehab Centers
With a population less than Louisville, Kentucky or Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and a bigger land area than 40 other states, Wyoming has many challenges providing services to its residents in need of substance use disorder treatment. Nonetheless, here are five quality rehab centers:
1. Wyoming Recovery, Casper
Wyoming Recovery includes four residential homes that comprise the program’s campus. The center provides six levels of care and also offers case management services, support for co-occurring disorders, and medical evaluation.
2. Cedar Mountain Center, Cody
Cedar Mountain Center is the chemical dependency treatment program of Cody Regional Health and is located near Yellowstone National Park. Cedar Mountain Center provides medical detox services, alcohol education and awareness, chemical dependency treatment, and aftercare services.
3. Central Wyoming Counseling Center, Casper
Central Wyoming Counseling Center offers residential substance use disorder treatment for up to 68 people, including adult men and women, pregnant and parenting women, and teens. The Center offers a Social Detoxification Unit (SDU), which is a non-medical detox program and medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for opiate recovery.
4. Volunteers Of America Northern Rockies, Sheridan
Volunteers of America Northern Rockies (VOANR) has provided services for 25 years. The organization’s health care services are focused on rehabilitation and recovery and include social detox services, residential recovery programs, and outpatient services.
5. Northern Wyoming Mental Health Center, Sheridan
Northern Wyoming Mental Health Center offers a variety of mental health and community services, including case management, medication management, crisis and emergency services, and individual, family, and group therapy.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Wyoming Substance Abuse Statistics
Wyoming has high rates of alcohol use, particularly binge drinking, in addition to other forms of substance use. Southwestern Wyoming had the highest rate of drug and alcohol dependence in the United States at 15% over a decade ago, but the rate continues to be high. Here are more statistics from Wyoming:
- In 2016, 34% of Native Americans reported binge drinking in the past month.
- 7,448 residents received substance use disorder services in 2017.
- 154 people died from a drug overdose (one or more drugs) in 2017.
- The 2015 death rate from alcohol-related liver disease (11.8 per 100,000) was more than twice the national rate of 5.4 per 100,000.
- In 2015, the alcohol-related auto crash death rate of 21.6 per 100,000 was almost twice the national rate of 11.6 per 100,000.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Wyoming
Wyoming has only a handful of licensed residential treatment facilities able to assist people struggling with opiate or prescription drug use, and waiting lists are common. When looking for a program, consider the following criteria:
- Accreditation: Nearly all of Wyoming’s accredited substance use disorder programs are accredited by CARF, a national agency that monitors and assesses treatment facilities, qualifications of staff, safety, and effectiveness.
- Evidence-based Approaches: Several of Wyoming’s rehab centers offer evidence-based treatment, with a strong focus on 12-step programs. Evidence-based treatment refers to therapeutic or recovery models studied by mental health and substance abuse professionals.
- Length/Location: Treatment programs in Wyoming tend to be more individualized than regimented 28-day, 60-day, or 90-day rehab programs that are found in urban areas. For more options, consider traveling out-of-state for treatment.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Substance use disorder programs in Wyoming frequently offer aftercare services, peer support, and community-based programs following treatment.
- Payment: Some of Wyoming’s substance abuse programs do not turn people away who lack the ability to pay. Wyoming programs accept private insurance, state funding, Medicare, Medicaid, and may offer payment plans.
Wyoming Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
Although numbers are small, Wyoming has begun to offer programs for individuals with opioid use disorders. The state licensed substance abuse treatment centers, which may offer the following essential services:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs are medically-supervised and help people overcome withdrawal symptoms when they cease alcohol or drugs. Wyoming also has several social detox programs which do not provide medical supervision.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment provides daily doses of FDA-approved medication to individuals seeking to recover from alcohol or opioids.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is an evidence-based approach that includes counseling and support groups. Wyoming has a number of therapy programs which primarily focus on 12-step programs and community-based or faith-based outreach.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Addiction often co-occurs with underlying mental health conditions like PTSD or bipolar disorder. Dual Diagnosis programs use a multidisciplinary approach to address both conditions at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
The Wyoming Department of Health offers treatment referrals and resources through its web portal, which lists community-based outpatient and residential treatment programs by county. Due to limited rehab centers, be prepared to travel out-of-state to find the best option for the individual in need of treatment.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in WyomingArticle Sources
Forbes—Drug Use Rankings Show Big Surprises And Even Bigger Problems - https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2018/06/01/drug-use-rankings-show-big-surprises-even-bigger-problems/#16a888af77c2
Wyoming Dept. of Health—2016 Data, Wyoming Demographic Data - https://health.wyo.gov/publichealth/chronic-disease-and-maternal-child-health-epidemiology-unit/wyoming-behavior-risk-factor-surveillance-system-2/brfss-data-2/2016-data/
Wyoming Dept. of Health—Wyoming Demographic Data - https://health.wyo.gov/health-data/
Wyoming Rx Abuse Stakeholders—Drug Abuse Facts & Statistics - http://www.wyrxabusestakeholders.com/facts--statistics
Wyoming Survey and Analysis Center—2016 State Epidemiological Profile - https://health.wyo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/wyoming-state-epidemiological-outcomes-workgroup-2016-state-epidemiological-profiles.pdf