5 Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers in Hawaii
Hawaii is known for its breathtaking landscape and countless tourist attractions. However, despite this state’s beauty, it is not immune to the drug problems plaguing the rest of the country. For people who suffer from an addiction to drugs or alcohol, hope is available in the form of effective rehabilitation programs located across the state.
The Top Five Hawaii Rehab Centers
Many different addiction treatment facilities are available in Hawaii. The best facilities are those that offer high-quality treatment programs customized to meet the needs of each individual person. Some of the top rehab centers in this state include:
1. Hawaii Island Recovery, Kailua-Kona
Located on the Big Island, Hawaii Island Recovery is a residential treatment facility that prides itself on providing effective treatment in a safe, tranquil environment. This facility uses evidence-based treatment methods, including experiential treatment and holistic therapies. Medically-supervised detox is also available.
2. Hina Mauka, Kaneohe
Hina Mauka has been providing addiction treatment services in Hawaii for more than 40 years. Residential, day treatment and outpatient services are all available from Hina Mauka. Clients who have completed treatment programs also have access to aftercare services. This facility accepts all clients, but priority is given to clients who inject drugs or are pregnant.
3. The Bobby Benson Center, Kahuku
The Bobby Benson Center provides addiction treatment specifically for youth who are struggling with substance use disorders. This residential treatment facility serves both males and females between the ages of 13 and 17. After being discharged from the facility, clients have access to aftercare services to help them maintain their sobriety.
Find A Rehab Center Near You.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
4. Mckenna Recovery Center, Lihue
Founded in 1989, the McKenna Recovery Center offers several addiction treatment programs to meet the needs of every person. Programs are available for men, women, and adolescents. This facility also offers treatment for psychological conditions that sometimes co-occur with addiction, such as a history of trauma or codependence.
5. The Salvation Army Drug And Alcohol Rehabilitation, Honolulu
Owned and operated by the Salvation Army, this facility offers detoxification, residential treatment, day treatment, and outpatient services. All treatment programs are customized and may include group counseling, one-on-one counseling, family counseling, education, life skills seminars, and more.
Hawaii Substance Abuse Statistics
Substance abuse in the state of Hawaii has been a significant problem for the past several decades. The following statistics indicate the severity of this issue in Hawaii, demonstrating the need for quality substance abuse treatment in this state.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) report the rate of alcohol abuse in Hawaii has been higher than the national average every year since 2010.
- SAMHSA also reports that approximately 26,000 people abused illicit drugs in 2014.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 77 people in the state of Hawaii died from an opioid overdose in 2016.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse also reports that heroin-related overdose deaths have doubled in this state since 2013.
- Hawaii loses approximately $500 million per year because of methamphetamine abuse alone, according to the Hawaii Meth Project.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Hawaii
Inpatient treatment immerses people in the treatment experience, removing outside distractions and allowing them to focus all of their attention on recovery. However, not all inpatient treatment programs are the same. When comparing different programs, clients should consider several factors, including:
- Accreditation: Accreditation indicates that a treatment program has met specific standards for quality as determined by an accrediting organization, such as the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehab Facilities, the Joint Commission, or the state of Hawaii.
- Evidence-Based Approaches: An evidence-based approach is treatment that has been scientifically studied to be effective. If possible, clients should look for facilities that employ evidence-based approaches like behavioral therapy.
- Length/Location: Programs vary according to their length, with some lasting a few weeks and others lasting for months. People may also need to consider the location of different treatment programs, as travel may be necessary to reach a quality program.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: Aftercare and alumni services exist to help clients who have graduated from rehab maintain a healthy lifestyle and adjust to life outside of treatment. The best programs will offer high-quality aftercare services.
- Payment: For clients who hope to use insurance to pay for rehab, it’s important to research the exact benefits of the insurance plan. How much insurance covers rehab programs will vary and can be based on individual circumstances.
Hawaii Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
Rehab services vary according to their purpose and approach to treatment. While all facilities will not offer the same rehab services, some of the most common services available include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs exist to provide support and treatment to clients as they eliminate drugs from their system and begin the recovery process. During this time, clients receive psychological and/or medical support to help them deal with cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment uses specific medications to reduce cravings and help clients recover more effectively. These programs typically use medications in combination with psychotherapy and other non-medical treatments.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is an evidence-based approach that aims to change the behaviors and thoughts associated with substance abuse. During treatment, clients are taught to think and act differently. They also build skills to help them cope with the environmental triggers they may face when they leave treatment.
- Treatment For Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Co-occurring disorders are disorders that commonly occur with substance abuse, like depression, anxiety, and personality disorders. Dual diagnosis treatment addresses both disorders at once so clients have a better chance of a full recovery.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Hawaii is home to many different treatment facilities, but finding the right facility can be a challenge. To ensure they have access to the best treatment, people should research different facilities carefully and be willing to travel for better treatment if necessary.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in HawaiiArticle Sources
Hawaii Meth Project—Methamphetamine Project - http://hawaiimethproject.org/wp-content/themes/methproject/assets/documents/Hawaii%20Statistics%20Fact%20Sheet%202015.pdf
National Institute on Drug Abuse—Hawaii Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/hawaii-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Hawaii 2015 - https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/2015_Hawaii_BHBarometer.pdf