Massachusetts Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers
Located on the east coast, Massachusetts is one of the oldest states in the U.S. Although this state has a rich history and a healthy economy, substance abuse is still a serious problem within its borders. Fortunately, this state is also home to multiple rehab centers that offer high-quality addiction treatment.
The Top Five Massachusetts Rehab Centers
Although Massachusetts is a relatively small state, it still offers a variety of rehab centers. Some of the best rehab centers in the state include:
1. Swift River, Cummington
Located near the Berkshire Mountains, Swift River offers unique, personalized addiction treatment. This facility uses evidence-based therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), along with adventure therapy and other alternative treatment options, to address the whole person.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
2. Northeast Addictions Treatment Center, Quincy
Northeast Addiction Treatment Center (NEATC) works closely with individuals through a phased treatment plan of day treatment, an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and outpatient care. Treatment includes science-based methods like individual and group therapy, expressive arts, didactic therapy, and internal family systems (IFS). Many individuals have successfully completed this program since it began in 2016 and continue to enjoy substance-free lives.
3. Gosnold, Inc., Falmouth
Gosnold offers a variety of treatment options for clients with addictions to drugs or alcohol, including inpatient programs, a partial hospitalization program, an intensive outpatient program, and a standard outpatient program. Residential treatment services are also available from this facility.
4. Adcare, Worcester
Adcare Hospital offers both inpatient and outpatient treatment services to meet the needs of a variety of patients. Inpatient services available include a detoxification program, a crisis stabilization unit, and inpatient rehabilitation programs with lengths of up to 28 days.
5. McLean Hospital: Signature Recovery Programs, Princeton
McLean Hospital views addiction to alcohol and other drugs as a serious mental illness that requires appropriate treatment. The programs at this facility are ideal for clients who have already completed detoxification and want to enter a residential treatment program in a private setting. Programs are available for both men and women.
Massachusetts Substance Abuse Statistics
Far too many people in the state of Massachusetts are struggling with addictions to drugs or alcohol. The statistics indicate just how serious this problem is within the state:
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Massachusetts has had a higher-than-average rate of alcohol abuse since 2010.
- SAMHSA also reports that more than 45,000 people were enrolled in substance abuse treatment on a single day in 2015.
- According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Massachusetts has one of the highest rates of opioid-related overdose deaths in the nation; in 2016, 1,821 people died of an opioid-related overdose.
- In one year, approximately 42,904 people in substance abuse treatment programs reported intravenous drug use, according to the Bureau of Substance Abuse Services.
Choosing The Right Rehab Program In Massachusetts
Inpatient programs require clients to live onsite during treatment, providing structure and support to help guide recovery. When comparing various inpatient programs in Massachusetts, clients should consider the following characteristics:
- Accreditation: A facility becomes accredited if it meets certain standards related to treatment quality. Examples of accreditation include the Joint Commission, the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF), and the state of Massachusetts.
- Evidence-based Approaches: Evidence-based approaches differ from other treatment methods because they are based on the results of scientific research, as opposed to untested theories. In general, it is best to find a program that offers evidence-based treatment.
- Length/Location: Treatment lengths vary and depend on individual circumstances and the program itself. In general, length ranges from fewer than 28 days to a year or longer. Clients should also consider how far they are willing to travel for treatment before making a decision.
- Aftercare and Alumni Services: If possible, clients should look for programs that offer aftercare services to help them maintain a healthy lifestyle after treatment and adjust to life outside the treatment center more effectively.
- Payment: People hoping to use insurance for payment should make sure the facility they choose accepts their policy. Check with the insurance provider first to find out, then contact the rehab center with information about the insurance policy.
Massachusetts Drug And Alcohol Rehab Services
Across the spectrum of addiction treatment, there are multiple rehab services available. Each service is designed with a specific purpose in mind. Some essential services or programs in Massachusetts include:
- Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs: Detox programs are designed to help clients through the detoxification process and withdrawal by providing medical therapies, psychological treatment, and support. In many cases, these programs precede a longer recovery program.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Medication-assisted treatment programs provides clients with FDA-approved medications to reduce cravings and lessen dependence. In most cases, medication is administered in combination with therapy or counseling.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy is the most common evidence-based approach used to treat addiction. It works by encouraging people to change thoughts and behaviors associated with drug or alcohol use.
- Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders (Dual Diagnosis): Co-occurring disorders exist when a person suffers from both substance abuse and a mental health issue like depression or PTSD. Dual diagnosis programs seek to treat both substance use disorders and mental health problems at the same time.
Finding Addiction Treatment
Massachusetts offers a variety of treatment centers with different advantages and disadvantages. To make the best choice, clients should consider their own individual treatment goals and preferences, and be willing to travel to find a program best for them.
*Any rehab centers mentioned in the this article are not affiliated with RehabCenter.net
Cities with Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Massachusetts
Bureau of Substance Abuse Services—Substance Abuse Treatment Fact Sheet - https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/07/rx/population-idu.pdf
National Institute on Drug Abuse—Massachusetts Opioid Summary - https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/massachusetts-opioid-summary
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration—Behavioral Health Barometer Massachusetts Vol. 4 - https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA17-BAROUS-16/SMA17-BAROUS-16-MA.pdf