Teen Alcohol And Drug Rehab Centers In Virginia
Addiction is a complex illness that can present even more complications in adolescents. Given the fact that it is illegal for teens to consume alcohol or use any type of drugs without prescription, many people don’t think about the real dangers of addiction in teens. The truth is, addiction is a prevalent problem among adolescents, and these young patients require treatment from qualified professionals in order to fully recover. Symptoms of addiction include becoming withdrawn and isolated, showing a lack of interest in things they once loved, and going above and beyond in order to gain access to drugs and alcohol.
While Virginia has some of the lowest numbers of adolescent addiction in the nation, there are still too many young adults afflicted with this serious disease. In 2013 and 2014, about 7 percent of teens between the ages of 12 and 17 had used illicit drugs during a 30-day period. In young people, addiction can take hold quickly, and many of them are not aware of the resources available to help. In fact, many adolescents who are addicted to drugs and alcohol do not even recognize the fact that they are dependent upon their drug of choice. This means that most teens do not get the required treatment that they need, and in Virginia, about 2.5 percent of teens need treatment but do not receive it from qualified professionals.
Depression can increase the risk of addiction in teens, and it can complicate treatment. In Virginia, about 60,000 teens experienced a major depressive episode per year from the years 2009-2013. By 2013, more than 11 percent of Virginia teens had experienced one major depressive episode. This can lead a person to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol, or it can result in the over-consumption of these illicit drugs. If an adolescent is battling a mental health disorder as well as addiction, dual diagnosis treatment should be considered.
Don't wait. Get help now.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Components Included in Adolescent Recovery Treatment Programs
Adolescent recovery treatment programs should be structured differently than substance abuse treatment programs for adults. The following components should be included in any recovery treatment program geared toward teen patients:
- Educational Programs — Teens should be provided with accurate information about drugs, alcohol and the consequences of addiction.
- Family Counseling — By working with a recovery counselors, families can learn more about the addiction recovery process and better understand the root cause of their teen’s addiction. Family counseling helps everyone be more successful in the long term.
- Individual Therapy — Private counseling gives the teen a safe space to discuss their struggles with overcoming addiction and helps them to uncover the root cause of the disease.
- Recreational Activities — Recreational activities allow teens to bond with one another and take a break from the rigorous coursework they are enrolled in during their recovery program. Art work, yoga, and fitness programs are positive programs that can be incorporated into a recovery treatment plan.
- Relapse Prevention Programs — These programs help teens as they adjust to life after recovery, and they focus on preventing relapse.
Teen Treatment Recovery Centers in Virginia
There are many different teen treatment recovery centers in Virginia. Falls Church Youth Services is based out of Fairfax, and it offers outpatient counseling and partial inpatient treatment programs for teens. Dual diagnosis care is available, and there are special programs for gay and lesbian teens. The Family Counseling Center for Recovery is located in Richmond, and it focuses on dual diagnosis care for adolescent patients. The Riverside Behavioral Health Center is in Hampton, and it provides holistic treatment options for teen patients interested in a more natural approach to recovery.
Contact Us Now To Find Out More Information
For more information on a teen recovery treatment center near you, contact us at RehabCenter.net today. Your call is completely confidential, and we will provide you with the resources you need in order to make the best decision.