Teen Alcohol And Drug Rehab Centers In Connecticut
Teenagers often feel pushed towards the use of drugs or alcohol as a way to cope with stress or because their peers are also using these substances. In Connecticut, many teens who abuse drugs or alcohol do not get the help they need because they are unsure of what to do. Fortunately, there are a variety of teen-based rehab centers available in the state to help guide teens towards a successful recovery.
In the past month, 9.4 to 10.39 percent of teens in Connecticut have used illicit drugs, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Of those teenagers, 2.56 to 3.25 percent are not receiving the treatment they need in order to recover. Here at RehabCenter.net, we are committed to helping you find a treatment center and program that will help your child stop using illicit drugs or alcohol and start leading an addiction-free life.
Teen Addiction Treatment Explained
It is important to understand that addiction is a mental and physical disease rather than a lack of willpower or moral values, and as a disease, it needs medical treatment that is designed to heal the body as well as the mind. Because of this, most teen treatment programs involve an evaluation for mental health. The need is further emphasized by the 2015 statistics for Major Depressive Episode (MDE) for teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17. A report by the SAMHSA, states that 2.8 million teenagers have MDE.
During the initial screening process, teens entering treatment will be asked to answer several questions about their drug or alcohol use. This may also be accompanied by a drug test in order to definitively confirm the addictive substances. After the screening process, the treatment and rehabilitation center will create a program to help the teen proceed with recovery.
Substance Abuse Treatment Programs for Teens
Substance abuse treatment programs are typically offered as residential inpatient or less intensive outpatient programs. Within these categories there are several styles of treatment approaches, such as behavioral, family therapy, and medication-based.
Find A Teen Rehab Near You.
Call to be connected with a compassionate treatment specialist.
Behavioral Approaches to Adolescent Treatment
- 12-Step Programs – Step based programs that offer tangible progress markers. This approach works well for teens that need a rigid structure.
- Behavioral Therapy – Changes bad behaviors into good behaviors while teaching the teen how to recognize unhealthy thought patterns and make good decisions.
- Motivational Therapy – Teaches the value of participation in a treatment program in order to motivate the teen to receive treatment. This is not typically used as a standalone treatment program.
Family Approaches to Treatment
- Behavioral Therapy for Families – Entire family participates in behavioral therapy that addresses the addiction as well as other behavioral problems.
- Multidimensional Therapy – Addresses behavior and conduct issues as well as addiction. This type of program works well for teens that have problems at home, in school, and with the justice system.
- Strategic Family Therapy – Addresses severe addiction in teens who may or may not be violent, including attitudes, home life, and environment.
This type of treatment program often involves a replacement drug as well as behavioral counseling. Medication based therapy works well for teens who have relapsed in the past or need more help with their sobriety.
Relapse Prevention And Continued Recovery
Relapse prevention programs are designed to teach teenagers how to avoid tempting situations and how to ask for help when they feel the need to use drugs or alcohol again. These programs also help teens understand the stages of relapse and how to cope with it if it occurs.
Treatment Centers in Connecticut
There are many addiction treatment centers in Connecticut that are focused on helping adolescents and teens recover from their substance abuse, including Bridges, Rushford Center and Wakeman Hall.
Bridges Community Support System
Bridges Community Support System is located in Milford, Connecticut. They offer inpatient and outpatient addiction and mental health services for children and teens between the ages of 12 to 17.
Rushford Center Inc.
Rushford Center is located in Middletown, Connecticut. They offer teen inpatient and outpatient substance abuse and rehabilitation programs as well as treatment for mental health and behavioral issues.
Wakeman Hall is located in Hamden, Connecticut at the Children’s Center of Hamden. They offer adolescent residential treatment, extended day treatment and outpatient treatment for substance abuse, mental health and behavioral problems.
Let us help you find the right Connecticut treatment center and program for your teen. Contact us today and get your loved one back into a good lifestyle.