2 Drug Rehab Centers in Welch, West Virginia
Substance Abuse In Welch And McDowell County
In McDowell County, where Welch is the county seat, overall health of the residents is very poor. Over 40 percent of McDowell County residents have fair or poor health and the economy is struggling. These factors contribute to high rates of alcohol and drug use.
- Among McDowell County residents, there is a high occurrence of chronic liver-cirrhosis.
- Out of every 100,000 individuals, 34.8 experience this alcohol-related illness.
- This is the highest rate in the state of West Virginia and an overall indicator of alcohol abuse.
- There is also a high rate of fatal drug overdoses in McDowell County.
- In the most recent county assessment, 92.2 out of 100,000 individuals passed away from a drug overdose.
- In 2016, this was the second-highest rate of fatal overdoses in the state.
One of the main concerns for those who are facing alcohol and drug addiction in McDowell County is that they have not been able to get the treatment they need for addiction.
The number of people who did not have access to alcohol and drug use treatment in McDowell County and Welch increased between 2010 and 2014.
Traveling For The Best Program
With only one rehab center available in Welch, the best approach to addiction treatment may be to travel to a new area.
Some people find that their hometown holds distractions while they are first trying to live substance-free. Limiting these distractions and finding a rehab program with a supportive community may help a person in recovery.Article Sources
WV Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Behavioral Health and Health Facilities - https://dhhr.wv.gov/bhhf/Sections/programs/ProgramsPartnerships/AlcoholismandDrugAbuse/Documents/County%20EPI%20Profiles%202017/2016%20McDowell%20County%20Profile.pdf