Drug Rehab Centers Near Bethesda, Maryland
Bethesda, Maryland is home to the National Institute of Health substance abuse center, and offers accredited, evidence-based rehab programs. Learn more.
Though Bethesda is a hub for health research, some people in the area still struggle with substance addiction. Alcohol and drug rehab centers in and near Bethesda reach out to these individuals.
Substance Abuse In Bethesda And Montgomery County
The Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR) at the University of Maryland is affiliated with the National Drug Early Warning System (NDEWS) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
CESAR conducted a Maryland Hospital Study of emerging drugs encountered in two emergency rooms in Maryland in 2018 and found the following information:
- More than 70 percent of the people in the study were using synthetic cannabis (Spice/K2) in addition to other substances.
- 28 percent of people tested positive for fentanyl.
- Between 22 and 32 percent tested positive for one of 10 emerging synthetic drugs.
- Between 2015 and 2016, Montgomery County experienced a 40 percent increase in overdose deaths.
- Fentanyl deaths in Montgomery County between 2015 and 2016 increased by 147 percent.
National Drug Early Warning System - https://ndews.umd.edu/resources/drug-early-warning-re-testing-biological-samples-maryland-hospital-study