$10,000 in Scholarships to be Awarded Annually
First PlaceSierra Abdullaj
Second PlaceKady Schwartz
Third PlaceDelanie P.
The scholarship award monies may only be used toward tuition, or expenses related to your education. There is no cost to enter the contest.
Scholarship winners will be notified via email, and we’ll make a public announcement of each winner within 30 days of the announcement.
Essay applicants must:
- Graduate or undergraduate student enrolled full-time at a postsecondary institution in the U.S.
- Welcome to enter: U.S. citizens, U.S. Nationals, U.S. permanent residents, Refugees, Asylees, Cuban-Hatian entrants, Humanitarian parolees
- At least 18 years of age at time of entry
Not eligible to enter are:
- Owners, employees, or direct family members of employees or owners affiliated with RehabCenter.Net
- International students or temporary residents
Essay Contest: Drug & Alcohol Addiction Awareness
Are you a college or university student enrolled full-time at an institution in the United States? Do you have a passion for raising awareness about the risks and dangers associated with addiction?
If you answered “yes” to the above questions, this may be the contest for you. RehabCenter.net is opening its first Addiction Awareness Essay Contest to students at the graduate or undergraduate level.
Three awards will be given to qualifying students who write the winning essays for first, second, and third places.
Essay Topic And Guidelines
We’re looking for essays that describe the views of those passionate about drug and alcohol addiction and the effects it has on people, their health, society, and more.
Maybe you have a loved one who has struggled with drug or alcohol abuse, or maybe you have struggled in the past, maybe you’re currently struggling and trying to find the help you need. We welcome and encourage you to enter the contest, share your story, and profess your dedication to addiction awareness efforts.
It’s not necessary that you have a history with drug and alcohol addiction to enter the contest. The only thing necessary is your commitment to expressing your views for:
- The ways in which addiction affects society today.
- What can we do to reduce these effects, help people, and lessen the burden of addiction on society?
Essay submissions should be no longer than 1,200 words. Applicants will be awarded based on the quality of the content, degree of originality, and personal style. Contest judges will be in search of essays that are not only structured and organized well, but with strong, logical arguments.
Background: Drug & Alcohol Addiction
Millions of people struggle with addiction in the U.S. every year, and the effects are far-reaching. From immediate health effects, to long-term conditions and diseases, addiction can have a great impact on health.
With time, addiction can poison every aspect of a person’s life: finances, work, school, personal relationships, responsibilities, obligation, community involvement, and the list goes on. Drug and alcohol impairs judgment, decision-making, and certain brain functions which puts the person using at heightened risk of injury or accident, especially during certain activities.
We live in a world heavy with the presence of illicit substances. Powerful, potent drugs claim lives every day.
Drugs and alcohol have been a part of our history for centuries. We have seen the damage it can do to individuals, their families, their communities, their health and more. Yet we still see vast number of addicted individuals, and not nearly enough help in treatment for those who need it.
If you’re interested in being part of the solution, and want to express that passion through words, enter our contest today.
How To Enter
To enter the contest, first review the eligibility requirements (to make sure you qualify), and the rules and regulations below.
Download our essay contest application and fill out.
When your essay is ready, submit with the contest application to [email protected]
December 22, 2017
January 5, 2017
Rules and Regulations:
- Essay must be the original work of you, the contestant. Plagiarism of any kind will automatically disqualify your entry. Read more about plagiarism here.
- Entrants must not contact the judges of this contest. Contacting any of the judges will disqualify your entry.
- Contest awards and decisions are final, unless an entrant is disqualified.
- Essay submissions that do not meet the requirements (listed above) or sent after the application deadline will not be considered.
- Essay award winners grant RehabCenter.net the right to use their essay content in connection with this contest, marketing efforts toward it, and publication of it, as well as the right to use the winners’ names and/or certain personal information to promote the contest, excluding any illegal misuse.
- RehabCenter.net will make the greatest effort to read and judge each eligible essay submitted on time, but cannot be responsible for essays not judged or read.
- Prizes won from the contest (scholarship award monies) can be revoked after awards are given if entrants are discovered to be ineligible or to have broken any of these rules.
- RehabCenter.net reserves the right to change submission deadline to an earlier deadline if application submissions greatly exceed the number projected. Prospective applicants should enter contest as early as possible.
- If RehabCenter.net has to change some or all of these rules, we will notify participants via email. If participants are dissatisfied with changes, they may retract their submission.
- Federal, state, and local charges or taxes on prizes must be paid by award winners.
- Essay submissions for this contest becomes the property of RehabCenter.net for distribution, use, and reproduction as it deems necessary in its sole discretion.